To date, there are three things that make me reeeally tired:
(1) Stupid people.
(2) Crazy people.
(3) People making a big deal over something trivial.
And it seems today’s the day for something that falls under (3).
So I read this article in today’s Toronto Star about a billboard for Coors Light beer, pictured above, that’s been making the rounds in B.C. It was spotted a couple of weeks ago by a Newmarket-area woman, originally from Kamloops, while on a camping trip out west. Or, rather, her 16-year-old son saw it first.
She made the points that, (a) the ad’s insulting to a large group of people and (b) the ad had the Olympic logo stamped on the billboard – which “isn’t a great way to bring people into the province” for the 2010 Winter Games.
She has a right to say this; I think she’s completely valid.
But since reading the story, I’ve read and seen how there’s this outcry over the ads.
People are up in arms over THIS??
Honestly? I smirked inwardly when I saw a picture of the billboard online.
I realize I’m about to give this much more attention than necessary. But the threats of boycotting Coors Beer and this apparent hue and cry have been BOGGLING MY MIND.
So as a born-and-bred Torontonian, here are my four reasons as to why you shouldn’t care less about the billboard:
(1) Have you TASTED Coors Light? I have. It’s not good enough to boycott. And if you happen to drink this, then I’m so sorry. Because you’ve no doubt managed to either BURN or SHAVE every last tastebud off of your tongue.
(2) “Most people” from Toronto aren’t cold. Call me conceited and biased, but I pride myself on TRYING to be nice to people. I’m all about The Golden Rule. Do I sometimes fail? Sure. But I try. And I’ve come across my share of not-so-nice people. Which brings me to …
(3) A good number of “most people in Toronto”, are from SOMEWHERE ELSE. And of that segment of the populace, a good number are from OTHER PLACES IN CANADA. So, really, Oh Mighty Braintrust Behind This Ad. Who EXACTLY do you think you’re poking in the eye with this?
(4) Hello? Does NO ONE remember the Coors Light billboard ad from a couple of years ago which read, “COLDER THAN YOUR GIRLFRIEND’S ROOMMATE”? If anything, THAT’s more offensive … and succinctly describes how much of a douchey boyfriend the copywriter might have been.
We Torontonians, we’ve been shat on and laughed at for years by other Canadians. Besides talking about the weather, it’s the only other way a lot of them bond. But if anything, it should help us citizens develop a tougher skin.
So why not do what I do …
See it for what it is – an ad to sell beer – and move on?
*Photo taken from The Toronto Star; courtesy of Kathryn Morton.